Monday 21 January 2013

post funeral debrief

This image probably isn't one to attract folk; nonetheless it 's to do with reality. It's the one sure thing in life. Perhaps much of our life is spent in denial about it. I've spent much of my working life in funerals. Why dow we draw or paint? For me it is about expresssing what I feel or think; somehow I don't really know what I think or feel until I "put it out there!" Hence this ink drawing:
Over the years I've had ample opprtunity to observe folk at funerals: the big bloke who doesn't want to show emotion, the young men who want to look macho, so wear black tie and black trousers as a concession to good taste, but ensure the shirt hangs out so they still look "cool"; the young women trying to look sexy even at an occasion such as this, the older women sometimes looking censorious or formidable, the funeral director always looking professional and present but not  involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment